Want to get the most out of your workout? Fuel up with the best pre workout foods. Here’s what you need to know to perform your best.
The first place to start is by embracing carbs. Carbohydrates are fuel for your body and help you have energy ample energy for your muscles. As a good rule of thumb, eat 1-3 hours before your workout. If your physical activity is done before that 1-hour mark after eating, you may experience GI symptoms.
In addition to carbs, your pre workout choices should have protein as well and a little healthy fat, like olive oil or avocado. The protein helps you repair and rebuild your muscles. The key is to get the right combination of carbs, protein and fat to keep you energized and satisfied without feeling sluggish and full.
Here are some of the best pre workout foods
- 1-2 Tbsp nut butter with an apple or banana
- Greek yogurt with ½ cup berries
- Protein bar and a whole fresh fruit
- Handful of nuts with dried fruit (1/4 cup)
- Chocolate milk and a banana
- Oatmeal with nuts or nut butter
- ½ cup cottage cheese or Greek yogurt with fruit (1 whole or ½ cup chopped)
- Toast with a soft-boiled egg
- Avocado toast with egg
- Almond milk and fruit smoothie
This article was written by Kathryn Whetstone, a dietetic intern with Appetite for Health